Detailing Products > Polishes/Surface Correction Products

Maximum Gloss

(1/7) > >>

DnD Auto Detailing:
Here is something I was taught by one of the best detailers I know. Explaining it this way makes it extremely easy to understand.

Now we're just talking about gloss here, not filling capabilities.

Lets take a look at the LC pads and how aggressive they are. We will number them 0- 5, 0 being the most aggressive and giving us the least amount of gloss, so 0 is for 0 gloss.

0- Yellow
1- Orange
2- White
3- Green
4- Gray
5- Blue/ Red

Now lets look at 106, it is a very light polish and has a gloss rating of 5.

So lets say you use 106 (5) with a white pad (2), that gives you a gloss rating of 7. Then lets say you use 106 (5) with a blue or red pad (5), that gives you a gloss rating of 10. The goal is to obviously get as much gloss as possible. This process is called jeweling or burnishing the paint. The key to successful jeweling is using a VERY light cut polish and a pad with no cut. Of course a great amount of technique goes into the process too. That I cant explain how to do on the internet.

Just because you polish with say SIP and you dont leave any holograms or buffer marks, DOES NOT mean the paint is ready for wax/ sealant (LSP). All it means is the paint is ready for the jeweling process.

Often times people will only use SIP and think the paint looks good. But when you get experience and develop an eye for this stuff, it will turn into a 3 or 4 step process.

Also keep in mind that there are polishes out there that will give you more gloss then 106. Ill give you a hint, the less cut a polish has, the more gloss it will give you (generally).

*Keep in mind this is just showing how to polish paint to get maximum results and gloss. Unfortunately, not all clients are willing to pay for this, so you need to adjust your process in those situations.

DnD Auto Detailing:
Surprised theres no replys to this...

PWR KAT:
I just had a chance to read and it just goes to prove that there are many things for me yet to learn.  Awesome advice!  Maybe this should also be placed in the sticky RP?   :NW:

05_sprcrw:
Wow that really really helped to put things into perspective for me.  :NW:

Thanks a ton, just out of curiosity you mentioned some polishes having better jeweling capabilities over the 106, would like to know what they are? I am looking at picking up some new polishes and now I want to try this step on my own vehicle.

Rollingrock:

--- Quote from: DnD Auto Detailing on July 08, 2008, 04:26:50 PM ---Surprised theres no replys to this...

--- End quote ---

Still trying to digest it...   :NW:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version