Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: ONR Question  (Read 10342 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
ONR Question
« on: May 08, 2009, 08:08:41 PM »
Ok, I have been using it for over a year now, mostly on the RV and now on the cars more...question for you ONR experts...how dirty is too dirty to use it for a wash rather than "normal" wash?

Wife's car has been driven in the rain for the last 7 days.   Based on Youtube, I have seen some very dirty cars get ONR'd but just wondering what is too much.  Maybe i should post some photos...

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
Re: ONR Question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 08:10:16 PM »
The only time I don't use ONR is if there is a lot of mud on the vehicle.  If there is mud, I spray it all off and then proceed with ONR.  I love the stuff and go through several gallons a year!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 08:11:50 PM »
yeah, no mud, just dirt and grim from the road/rain etc.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 08:13:23 PM »
You should be fine then.  I like to pretreat the fenderwells, tires, and wheels before using ONR.  For really bad bugs I also pretreat first too.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 08:18:07 PM »
Thanks Justin, ok using the new blue lake thingie...light pressure I presume?  I was going to go after her car on Sat to see how it works.

I will take some before's and afters...hell I may even set the tripod up and video it...we need more video's for the site.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 08:20:55 PM »
Yes, just use light pressure with the grout sponge.  If the vehicle is really dirty, sometimes you want to do a few passes on the same panel.  If you are using ONR correctly, you won't get any dirt at all on your towel.  Some people make the mistake of taking one pass and thinking the paint is clean and it usually need another pass or two.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »
Yes, just use light pressure with the grout sponge.  If the vehicle is really dirty, sometimes you want to do a few passes on the same panel.  If you are using ONR correctly, you won't get any dirt at all on your towel.  Some people make the mistake of taking one pass and thinking the paint is clean and it usually need another pass or two.

good point

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 10:00:34 PM »
The dirtier the vehicle the quicker the mitt (or whatever media gets) gets dirty.

Light dirt=1 wash mit
Average dirg=2 mits

Very dirty stuff and wheels I use soap for my peace of mind but...
Quoted from http://www.optimumcarcare.com/forums.htm

"The polymers in No Rinse have reactive groups that bond and trap dirt particles making the dirt particles virtually non-abrasive. They also bond to oily particles and emulsify them into water. The latter is equivalent to the cleaning action from soaps which also work by emulsifying oil particles into water. However, with soap there is no interaction with dirt. This is why adding No Rinse to a regular wash also helps protect the paint from dirt particles.

The No Rinse polymers also bond to all automotive surfaces and create a slick surface and act as a barrier to protect paint from marring. That is something that soap will not provide since surfactants in soaps have no affinity for painted or other automotive surfaces."

So in theory there is no such thing as too dirty....
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 10:03:25 PM »
Thanks for that.

the last time I did the ONR on trucks, I did one half...changed the water and did the second half.

May be wasteful but it made me feel better.   I did also use 2 different wash mits making me happy I bought 4 of the Blue LC things...

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 10:17:14 PM »
Thanks for that.

the last time I did the ONR on trucks, I did one half...changed the water and did the second half.

May be wasteful but it made me feel better.   I did also use 2 different wash mits making me happy I bought 4 of the Blue LC things...
Most of the dirt stays in the mit more so than the water.
This is why I switched back to cotton mitts as they release the dirt easier than microfiber when you detergent rinse to clean them.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 10:40:16 PM »
Great input...thanks. 

Hope is to jump up and document the wash.

then its off to Orlando....

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 08:36:01 AM »
Thanks for that.

Most of the dirt stays in the mit more so than the water.
This is why I switched back to cotton mitts as they release the dirt easier than microfiber when you detergent rinse to clean them.

It's suspended on the panel in the onr solution until you wipe it off. fyi  :mj:
A Perfect Shine Everytime!

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 10:07:26 AM »
I debated starting a new topic, but this one was right along what I was going to ask/say.

I've used ONR twice this past week, once on each of my vehicles. I will have to admit that I was a little bit skeptical at first since you don't start off giving the whole vehicle a rinse down, but once you get over that it all falls into place. I went with two buckets and one of my SM Arnold mitts. I gotta say both washes went pretty well. Usually when washing I'm always stuck in the sun and trying to get the whole thing washed before it starts to dry on me, but with ONR it really takes the stress out of it. One panel at a time, then dry and move on.

I did learn something new as far as process on each vehicle. Do wheels and tires first. And, always start with the roof. Pre-treating for bugs should come before the hood and front fenders also I learned.

Overall I'm real happy with ONR and can see it being used a LOT in my future. Hands down the only way to go for winter washing inside.

I have the newer version, which I believe is 1oz per 2 gallons of water. Do you guys use this stuff as a quick detailer? What ratio?
LD

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 01:11:27 PM »
I use ONR as a general purpose QD for bugs and bird crap between washes and as per the bottle, I use 8 oz per gallon which goes a long way.

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 08:50:29 PM »
What wash mitts do you guys prefer with ONR?

I used my SM Arnold and its pretty nasty now, not sure how well it will clean out....
LD

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal