March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Cleaned up wheels finally!  (Read 10432 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Cleaned up wheels finally!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 08:10:01 PM »
If you've read enough of my posts you probably have realized I don't often read over what I write.  That said, your post made me go back and read my post.  Wow.  Maybe I should start reading what I post.

Why start now? I'm still laughing. Heck, I can't even write something that funny when I'm trying. Keep up the good work!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Cleaned up wheels finally!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 08:30:37 PM »
Technically, I think you might actually be better off with wet sanding than with steel wool. Here's my reasoning. One could possibly imbed small particles of steel in the aluminum surface with steel wool. That would be inbedding something that could also corrode later. On top of that, one would also have the "two dissimilar metals" thing going - which would be double bad.

I'd try starting with 400 grit and lots of water, then move up to 800 and 1500 before going to a buffer with polish. I actually think that might work pretty well. If it does, please get back to us because I have a customer with a fairly ugly set of uncoated aluminum wheels that's willing to pay me to bring them back. And yes, this does make you the crash test dummy. Sorry about that chief!

I had to reload all of these pictures because of the hack.  I linked it to someone and noticed they were all gone.  I decided to read through it again.  I just wanted to update by saying I didn't experience any issues with the steel wool over the course of the year.  Also, I never did try the sand paper.  Maybe next time.  I would imagine with sandpaper I could probably achieve a more mirror finish.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

* Recent Photos

IMG_6660.JPG

Views: 8
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal