April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Leasing a Vehicle?  (Read 13360 times)

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
Re: Leasing a Vehicle?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »
Leasing vs buying all depends on how you use your vehicle, and how often you plan on changing vehicles..  for a car whore like me that upgrades every two - three years, the right lease can be cheaper than buying.

That's my problem.

The boss lady says she'd be happy with this car for the next 5 or 6 years. But when little Tony comes along, I'm pretty sure the lack of a rear door and having to bend over to get into it isn't going to be enjoyable for her. Not to mention I'll probably get bored with it, even though it's not mine to begin with.

We went and looked at a 2010 F150 Raptor prototype. She sat in it and loved it. Can't see her being happy with a lil bitty car and kiddos when she would just as much enjoy a larger vehicle.

:sblah:

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 07:13:29 PM »
I have leased vehicles I could not otherwise afford and it's been a easy 100% business write off but with the exception of driving a new car every few years it doesn't make much sense as you will always be making payments and own nothing. 

Also when you purchase you stand a chance of negotiating any possible equity with a buyer or the bank if you loose your job and need to sell.
With a lease you have no options.
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 08:40:20 PM »
Tony have you checked out AutoFlex in DFW yet?  Those guys seem to have this figured out pretty well.  I would give them a call and ask a ton of questions.

Have you considered a less expensive car like a Hyundai or something like that?  100K warranty, good cars...less money, and good on mpg's? 

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:45:02 PM by Rollingrock »
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 10:30:54 AM »
Tony have you checked out AutoFlex in DFW yet?  Those guys seem to have this figured out pretty well.  I would give them a call and ask a ton of questions.

Have you considered a less expensive car like a Hyundai or something like that?  100K warranty, good cars...less money, and good on mpg's? 

I've thought about checking with AutoFlex, but haven't yet. Good plan.

We've thought about looking into a Kia or Hyundai, but I don't know. I'm a stickler for fit and finish. My parents had two Hyundai's and both were decent, but it was obvious they were "cheap" cars. Nothing was more frustrating to me than my poorly assembled interior in the F150 which rattled over every bump. They are however a good option, and one that I don't think we should ignore. Sam likes anything that's a hatch-back really.

:wtf: Women...

Edit : I wouldn't mind one of these. Little out of our price range though.  :thumbsiup:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:32:37 AM by attworth »

Offline Robby32

• Café Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 11:41:35 AM »
Don't know your price range - but I might suggest the Pontiac G8 (yeah I know GM is going to kill Pontiac but you will still get the warranty and service from other GM dealers) It is made in Australia - We bought a GT model in December and the fit and finish are outstanding. Price range from the $28's (V6) to $34's (V8) depending on model and options. If you want the hot rod the GXP will push $40.

Remember that those are sticker numbers take the normal deal discount plus incentives and it is a great car at a good price - It may even be better now since some will shy away because of the announcement.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:58:02 AM by Robby32 »

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 12:12:05 PM »
I know you are looking for a new car but we picked up my wifes Ford 500 last fall for 13k out the door and it certified with 100k warranty on it. Just a thought.
Good enough never is

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 12:49:46 PM »
We'd like to keep it at or under 20,000ish pre-tax. The less, the better obviously. My wife is VW crazy, and mostly everything else I show her just gets a shrug. She does like most hatch-back style cars, but there aren't that many that don't look like complete piles of poo. She likes that new Kia Soul thing for some odd reason, but it's pretty pricey for a box on wheels.  :sb:

I'd rather just buy her a 70-80s pickup for 1500 bucks and call it a day.  :biglaugh:

She doesn't like that idea....  :thump:

Edit: My truck was certified used - definitely the best deal I could have gotten at the time. Does VW even do that sort of thing or is it below them? Newb alert.....

http://www.vw.com/preloved/en/us/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:52:08 PM by attworth »

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 09:35:14 PM »
Just a little piece of advice, and not to be taken the wrong way...but you cannot have Champagne on a Beer budget.  Buy what you can afford. 

Ok, PSA over.

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 09:51:06 PM »
Does VW even do that sort of thing or is it below them? Newb alert.....
I have a German friend who owns a Mercedes repair and used Mercedes car lot.  On the side he buys wrecked and or totaled VW's and sells them for 3, 4 times the investment.  People know what they are getting and the cars sell faster than he can fix them.  He literally doesn't finish some they sell so fast.

I have watched him for several years and the market and people pay top dollar for VW's...go figure.
Good luck. :thumbsiup:
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 09:58:44 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfWScRkqqRo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgEvy60bZYI[/youtube]

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »
Just a little piece of advice, and not to be taken the wrong way...but you cannot have Champagne on a Beer budget.  Buy what you can afford. 

Ok, PSA over.

I'm not following. I think what you mean is act my wage. Which I am. But just making sure I'm not reading that wrong.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 01:47:51 PM »

Ok, PSA over.

I'm not following. I think what you mean is act my wage. Which I am. But just making sure I'm not reading that wrong.

Not really act your wage, more like be more sensible.    What I am saying is, I would love to have 911, could I afford it?  Sure, I could lease it but having that kind of payment would make other things more difficult.  Hence having Champagne with a beer budget.   Case in point, I have a neighbor who is self employed...he has 4 kids, he did the whole nice car thing until he figured out that he was taking a bath so he traded them all in and got more sensable and affordable cars.  Are they as nice?  Not really but who cares.  Now during these tough times he can afford to pay his mortagatge, put food on the table, send his kids to school etc and save a little money. 

Maybe that makes sense. 

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »
Not really act your wage, more like be more sensible.    What I am saying is, I would love to have 911, could I afford it?  Sure, I could lease it but having that kind of payment would make other things more difficult.  Hence having Champagne with a beer budget.   Case in point, I have a neighbor who is self employed...he has 4 kids, he did the whole nice car thing until he figured out that he was taking a bath so he traded them all in and got more sensable and affordable cars.  Are they as nice?  Not really but who cares.  Now during these tough times he can afford to pay his mortagatge, put food on the table, send his kids to school etc and save a little money. 

Maybe that makes sense. 

Yessir. Thanks for clearing that up.  :thumbsiup: And I agree with you completely. I watched my parents make mistakes when I was kid, and then my brothers. Granted, they weren't leasing 911s, but a couple new cars/trucks/houses later...... Being the youngest has its benefits.That's precisely the reason we still share her 97 POS. She finished school in March. Having dual income is a lot better than single, lemme tell ya!

The idea behind the lease was hopefully to save a little money in the long run, but obviously my ignorance has been corrected. I think a lease could work for me, not necessarily on a 911 (my all-time favorite car....) but I don't know about for the lady. Not to mention, finding a nice example like the one listed above for around 5K less than a new one is very very nice! If not that one, there will be others.

Here in the next year or so, I plan to leave my job, get a normal "kid" job working part time so I can afford the time and energy to go back to school. That was the major motivator in the 199 lease deal. But a 13,000$ car with some money down can easily be about the same payment; especially if, in the now time, when we have more expendable income, we can make some extra payments. (And still continue to put back money for when we're old.) <--- was that a run-on?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 02:34:22 PM »
Hold on there, don't take me wrong, not trying to talk you out of leasing a car for Sam, just saying lease what you can afford..that may not always be the 911. 

If you want to steal a car, now maybe a good time to find or lease a new Chrysler product...

* Recent Photos

IMG_2047.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal