1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Looking for a PSD  (Read 11686 times)

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
Looking for a PSD
« on: April 07, 2009, 08:48:23 PM »
I'm looking for a diesel. I'm bored with my truck and i wanted a diesel in the first place. Any idea what i could get for mine? It's an 07 with 20k on it.

Anyway I was hoping for black leather but i would like a dark color, too. RR said FX4 so i'm looking now. I was looking for a lariat but i'm not crazy about the tan.

I know to stay away from 03-04 6.0s, and some 05s. Replacing the head studs with APR should prevent me from having any head gaskets issues, correct?

I'm looking for something under 40k miles.. i'm not sure if i would trust something with many more miles than that

I looked at this today, which is basically what i want but i really would like leather
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=258824857&dealer_id=614565&car_year=2005&rdm=1239155001950&model=F250&num_records=100&systime=&make3=&make2=FORD&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2005&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=Diesel&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=100&marketZipError=false&model2=F350&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=FORD&keywords_display=&color=&scarid=260294374&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=4+wheel+drive&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=20732&advanced=y&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=Automatic&max_price=&cardist=15&standard=false

I like this.. Little bit more than what i want to spend though
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=259644070&dealer_id=104907&car_year=2006&rdm=1239155001950&model=F250&num_records=100&systime=&make3=&make2=FORD&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2005&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=Diesel&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=100&marketZipError=false&model2=F350&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=FORD&keywords_display=&color=&scarid=260294374&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=4+wheel+drive&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=20732&advanced=y&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=Automatic&max_price=&cardist=39&standard=false
A Perfect Shine Everytime!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Looking for a PSD
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:58:58 PM »
Ford did a lot of design and upgrades to the engine in Jan 06 including head studs not sure what "brand" they are.

I did read today that the 06's had least warranty claims of any of the PSD's prior, the 07 is bomb proof.

It is VERY rare to find a Lariat with Black leather.  It would have had to be ordered from the dealer that way, the standard Lariat is parchment. (now called Camel)

The FX4 came with Black Leather and I think I would prefer to have that over a Lariat, sometimes the FX4 has more options. 

Regardless of what you get, before you buy, get an Oasis report on that Vin and if the dealer refueses, they are hiding something, pass on that truck.

It takes about 10 seconds to get one run if you are standing in the Service Dept.   I think the 05's are ok to get to but again, I would check that Oasis. 

Other things to look for is ERG, Turbo etc.  Look for signs of Mods.   If you see pillar gauges, I would pass on that truck too. 

I would check out thedieselstop.com for all the reading you can imagine on the PSD.  I'll take a look at the ones you have listed.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:05:07 PM »
Something looks a little fishy with that second truck.

1.  XLT with new looking black leather?
2.  Why does the Tow Command still have the calibration sticker?  Was it added?
3.  Why so low miles for an 06?

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:07:48 PM »
Thanks for the website. I'm a mechanic so i have a good idea of what i'm looking for. Ie oil leaks gummed up turbos, definetly staying away from a truck with a 5th wheel or programmer.

I understand what i'm looking at, i'm just fairly new to it.

Is there anyway to get an oasis report online?

You've got a good eye to with the 2nd truck. I just like the color/combo

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 09:23:53 PM »
Thanks for the website. I'm a mechanic so i have a good idea of what i'm looking for. Ie oil leaks gummed up turbos, definetly staying away from a truck with a 5th wheel or programmer.

I understand what i'm looking at, i'm just fairly new to it.

Is there anyway to get an oasis report online?

You've got a good eye to with the 2nd truck. I just like the color/combo

I forgot you were a mechanic, so you got that covered.  If you were to do the head studs yourself that is just pure punishment. 

I think there are some guys over the TDS that can run that report for you..the VIN's are listed on that ads for the truck, that is great that post that.

That second one still have me scratching my head.  I have NEVER seen an XLT with color match mirrors.   Did you see that truck too?  If you do, take a hard look at the seats, they look brand new.  If it checks out, that maybe a good truck and I think you can get them down on price.   Just b/c it has leather doesn't make it that high in price.  It doesn't have climate control or the upgraded radio and Lariat dash but that is a good looking truck.

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:37:14 PM »
I didn't go look at it but now that I think about it. With everything done to that truck, the color matching and leather and stuff, i'm thinking there's a good chance that truck was probaly chipped at one point

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:45:58 PM »
I didn't go look at it but now that I think about it. With everything done to that truck, the color matching and leather and stuff, i'm thinking there's a good chance that truck was probaly chipped at one point

Did you see how the rear tip was attached?  Looks odd to me, I would craw under that thing and see the condition of the CAT. 

Another little trick...drive it on the highway and put the cruse at 70 let it sit there for about 20 seconds, then tap the brake enough to stop the cruise control and if you feel a quick jerk from the engine it is programed and they didn't remmove it from the PCM.  If it feels smooth out of cruise it is a stock flash.    Just thinking outloud.

I think it is a rare find though, its worth looking at.  But like you said too, check the bed out, if the plastic liner looks good, look under the rear wheel well and see if there are holes in front of and back of the over the stock bump stop...and while you are looking at that, see if the stock bump stops are 3" tall, then look for marks in the undercoating...would be signs that airbags were installed.  The holes will tell you if a hitch was there. 

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 10:07:32 PM »
I think i'm going to look into it. Thanks for the tune trick too. There's so many choices i'm trying to find one with a sticker around 25 to get them down to 20 otd. Ford has a 5/100k mile warranty.. Is that transferable? God i hope so  :biglaugh:

I've spent the last couple hours on thedieselstop since you posted it. Thanks rock!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 10:09:27 PM »
I think i'm going to look into it. Thanks for the tune trick too. There's so many choices i'm trying to find one with a sticker around 25 to get them down to 20 otd. Ford has a 5/100k mile warranty.. Is that transferable? God i hope so  :biglaugh:

I've spent the last couple hours on thedieselstop since you posted it. Thanks rock!

The 5/100 stays with the truck.  However there is a 75.00 fee to transfer it to you if the dealer doesn't do it.  You'll want to ask that when you buy.  Make them do it for free.  It takes them 20 seconds to do at the time of the sale or it will take you 2 weeks to do it later.

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 10:12:23 PM »
Thanks that's good to know. I mean if it's under warranty it's under warranty.. Why should i get my hands dirty?

It's sad i've already got the lift and stuff picked out

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:19:19 PM »
Thanks that's good to know. I mean if it's under warranty it's under warranty.. Why should i get my hands dirty?

It's sad i've already got the lift and stuff picked out

There are a few things I coulnd't live without on my PSD.  The up fitter switches and tow command.  It is simply awesome.  I also like the auto rear glass.

Once you have the upfitter switches you can do two mods that are awesome.  The High Idel Mod or the Varaiable High Idle Mod for PTO.  Or both at the same time. 

I have back up lights using 1 switch and another using the High Idle Mod.  So kick ass.

Offline Zaairman

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 10:46:28 PM »
Why not buy that first truck and add leather??  I bet you could be out the door for $22K including having the dealer add leather. 
2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4. 
- Nowhere near stock
1997 Chevy Cavalier "Type R"
- $350 race car
1973 Tahiti 16' Sidewinder

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 10:48:42 PM »
Why not buy that first truck and add leather??  I bet you could be out the door for $22K including having the dealer add leather. 

Another 200 for the upfitter switches.   If the wiring is there. 

Or better yet, buy my truck!   

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 06:47:52 AM »
How much would i be looking at to add leather?

And rr could you explain those mods a little bit? I think i got the idea but not sure

Offline Zaairman

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 10:15:16 AM »
The trucks are already wired for the upfitter switches if I remember right.  Its kinda like the tow package deal on the non-tow F-150s.  Plug it in, and probably have to add a relay or fuse or three.  As for the leather, my buddy had them add it to his 06 for like $1000.  His was an extended cab, but I don't think the crew would be too much more. 
2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4. 
- Nowhere near stock
1997 Chevy Cavalier "Type R"
- $350 race car
1973 Tahiti 16' Sidewinder

* Recent Photos

IMG_2059.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.