March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: 3D One  (Read 33161 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: 3D One
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2021, 02:16:25 PM »
I've got a 2018 Corolla with 25,000 miles on it sitting in my bay for a full used car detail. As I was washing the snow and salt off of it, I ran into this:

Oh, and did I mention that the rest of the BLACK paint is pretty well hammered and scratched too. Good lord, what do people do to these cars! The Used Car Manager says he doesn't want to send it out for paint and he wants to see what kind of miracle I can pull off. Oh well, at least it's a Corolla and not a Tundra or something big. I'm going to start (and hopefully finish) it tomorrow and will post more pics. Wish me luck!

PS: I'm blaming JP for this one since the car came from Texas.
So is that mostly paint transfer or a lack of paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's mostly paint transfer that you're seeing. Unfortunately, there's also a good number of deep scratches and noticeable rippling of the sheet metal. No, it ain't going to buff out. Not all of it at least.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2021, 02:26:28 PM »
After prepping 2 new cars, I finally got to get cracking on the poor Corolla. I wasn't expecting miracles and oddly enough, none materialized. After 3 hours of polishing with Menzerna 400 on a wool pad (your read that right) on the tough spots, a hard foam cutting pad on almost everything else, then a Hex Logic Cutting pad with 3D One on the whole car. I was pretty well finished. I got most of the scratches out of the rest of the car, but the damage to the right rear quarter was worse than even I thought. Here's what I ended up with:

Was it a lot better? Yes. Was it perfect? No way. Was it up to my standards? Not even close. I called the Used Car Manager over and showed him what I had. Believe it or not, he was thrilled. "I didn't think you'd get it anywhere near that good" he said.

I've still got to do the interior tomorrow and the outside needs a re-wash because there's so much dust from the polishing, but the car does look half way decent. I still think it's going to get wholesaled.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2021, 03:57:31 PM »
turned out great !!.

Do you think filling it with clear would help, or with Black that is going nowhere.

You gave me that trick on my sister's silver Honda way back when, and it worked like a top.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2021, 07:18:03 PM »
turned out great !!.

Do you think filling it with clear would help, or with Black that is going nowhere.

You gave me that trick on my sister's silver Honda way back when, and it worked like a top.
It might, but I'm not going to even try it with what I'm getting paid to detail this one. Besides, I don't want to crack that door open for future vehicles. I'd rather leave paint to the body shop. Good idea though.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2021, 11:53:36 AM »
I forgot to post an "after" pic. All in all - especially considering what I started with - it came out ok. Just not up to my standards.

I'm still blaming JP since the car came from Texas.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2021, 06:06:27 PM »
It looks great.  Nobody would guess what it looked like before. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal