1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Photobucket Photo Hostage Situation  (Read 9181 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Photobucket Photo Hostage Situation
« on: July 24, 2017, 09:50:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here in this situation, so let's see if any of this sounds familiar. A few weeks ago I got an e-mail from Photobucket informing me that if I didn't sign up for a much more expensive account with them, they would disable third party hosting of my pictures on other sites. Since every one of the pictures in my various posts here is hosted via Photobucket, if I don't sign up for one of their new $399 / year accounts, all of the pictures in my posts will disappear. The pictures will still be available to me in Photobucket and I can even download - and upload them someplace else.

So here's my dilemma. I have all of my eggs in one basket - Photobucket. I've never had a problem with their service - until now. The easiest thing would be for me to simply send them $399 and be happy for one more year. I don't know about you guys, but I think $399 a year is highway robbery though. I have two more weeks to make my decision before all of my pics disappear on this site and several others.

So what are your thoughts on this one?

Tom

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Photobucket Photo Hostage Situation
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 09:56:05 AM »
F that!  I lost my phone a year or two back and was devastated as I lost all of my pictures that were on it.  I got over it.  $399 is insane.  Maybe $39.99. 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 11:03:58 AM »
Set yourself up your own domain and host them yourself.  Much cheaper. 

or use an FTP service.   zftp.com  $8.99 a month.

================

Doug

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 11:48:58 AM »
Same here, you can see the issue in all my threads.

I'm not coughing up that kind of dough for a service that is still free from other vendors. It sucks because all my links are broken, but it is what it is.

I'll be downloading all my pics (close to 1000 of them) and re-uploading into another service. I'll also be exploring what Doug is doing so I don't have to rely on someone else.

One new option for me is google drive. I can't see them tacking on a massive cost in the future.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 03:03:27 PM »

I'm not coughing up that kind of dough for a service that is still free from other vendors. It sucks because all my links are broken, but it is what it is.

I'll be downloading all my pics (close to 1000 of them) and re-uploading into another service. I'll also be exploring what Doug is doing so I don't have to rely on someone else.

One new option for me is google drive. I can't see them tacking on a massive cost in the future.

Yea, that's pretty much what I was thinking of doing. I e-mailed Photobucket's Customer Service folks and said that if they came up with an option to allow 3rd party hosting for maybe $50-$100 a year I might be interested. I went on to say that if they couldn't do that, then they'll be losing a long time customer. I wonder how many folks will just tell them to take a hike?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 05:25:21 PM »
I'd be in that camp that tells them to take a hike.  I have a Photobucket account but I never use it anymore.  I must have missed the email. 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 02:38:18 PM »
My honest and humble opinion is they can go suck an egg! There is no way I'm going to pony up $400 for them to host my pictures just so I can share them on a forum.
Good enough never is

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 07:46:56 PM »
Use google pictures and they are free storage or buy the 10 per month storage fee

photobucket sucks.  Technology and the market has passed them by

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 05:52:31 PM »
I still haven’t pulled off all my pics. All the ads on the site make it a major PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 07:54:08 PM »

Yea, that's pretty much what I was thinking of doing. I e-mailed Photobucket's Customer Service folks and said that if they came up with an option to allow 3rd party hosting for maybe $50-$100 a year I might be interested. I went on to say that if they couldn't do that, then they'll be losing a long time customer. I wonder how many folks will just tell them to take a hike?

I have a lot there too but I am not paying jack to keep them....most of my photos are now in google photos...but since I use TAP-A-TALK to post, photo bucket isn't my concert. Sadly, many of our old posts on F150OL will be gone. 

Our legacy.....frown.   LOL

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 08:27:50 PM »

I have a lot there too but I am not paying jack to keep them....most of my photos are now in google photos...but since I use TAP-A-TALK to post, photo bucket isn't my concert. Sadly, many of our old posts on F150OL will be gone. 

I can go you one better. Every single one of my pics (here, F150 OL, etc.) were "third party hosted" by Photobucket. So I lost everything. I too refuse to pay them money to put them back up. I did recently invest the better part of an afternoon downloading every single picture from Photobucket to allow me to upload them someplace else.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 09:39:28 PM »

I can go you one better. Every single one of my pics (here, F150 OL, etc.) were "third party hosted" by Photobucket. So I lost everything. I too refuse to pay them money to put them back up. I did recently invest the better part of an afternoon downloading every single picture from Photobucket to allow me to upload them someplace else.

Yeah, same here. Only reasons why I used Photobucket was to post on here and F150OL. All well. Imgur seems to work Ok for sites I can’t use Tapatalk with. I’m really only active on three forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 06:59:37 PM »
So I am the only dope at F150OL that made albums there ?
 :doh:

I even converted post Steve selling the place to the new albums and fought the photo merge issues from hell.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 12:06:34 AM »
So I am the only dope at F150OL that made albums there ?
 :doh:

I even converted post Steve selling the place to the new albums and fought the photo merge issues from hell.

I think I did throw some pics into a album on their. I think it was mainly for a signature picture though.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 08:07:47 AM »
I think I did throw some pics into a album on their. I think it was mainly for a signature picture though.

I have 12+ albums there, depending on the topic; none are signature related. :redneck:
Steve

* Recent Photos

IMG_0203.JPG

Views: 3
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal