* Calendar

March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: 2014 Toyota Tacoma  (Read 29200 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: 2014 Toyota Tacoma
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2020, 07:30:11 PM »
Those wheels get me everytime.  They are just unnaturally clean.  I don't think I've gotten wheels that clean even brand new out of the box.  What the hell is this sorcery...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'd love to say that they have some special finish, but they're just clear coated machined aluminum. I'd love to say I do something special to them, but they just have Menzerna Power Lock on them.  :dunno:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2020, 07:39:00 PM »
Looks awesome Tom! Wow, I doubt there are many vehicles in that area that see winters and look like that.

I’m about to hit the truck with Poor Boys ceramic coating before winter comes. I’m curious on how it applies and lasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2020, 03:00:54 PM »
Tom,

Looks great.  For people here I am sure ti was  waaaay too long, but normal people it was overkill.
- Heck most people put wax on once ( maybe ) and then never think of it again.

Glad to hear you are out of McKee's 37 finally.  the problem I had with it I tossed it in the trash can and waited for Detailed Image shipment for more OptiGloss to finish the Mrs' MKZ earlier in the year.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2020, 04:10:59 PM »
Tom,

Looks great.  For people here I am sure ti was  waaaay too long, but normal people it was overkill.
- Heck most people put wax on once ( maybe ) and then never think of it again.

Glad to hear you are out of McKee's 37 finally.  the problem I had with it I tossed it in the trash can and waited for Detailed Image shipment for more OptiGloss to finish the Mrs' MKZ earlier in the year.

Steve,

Thanks for the kind words. I still have some McKee's left, but it's going to get used on the snow blower or something like that. I have a kit with CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0 sitting on my bench just waiting to get applied to something. I wonder what it will go on ...

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2020, 08:55:37 AM »
Well, I officially gave up on the McKee's Ceramic Coating and tossed the remaining 2 bottles. I stripped the coating off using 3D One on an Orange Lake Country CCS pad on the Flex. It came off relatively easily. I then replaced it with CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0. Man, what a difference in ease of application and leveling! This was much more in line with other coatings I've tried and liked. I applied one coat yesterday and am planning on following up with second coat today - weather permitting. Teaser pic:

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2020, 05:10:28 PM »
Very nice teaser pic.

Comparing  CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0 to OPT Optiguard, how would you rate it ?

I have been sold on OPT Optiguard ( coat ) for some time and I keep looking around but never have found something worth moving off it.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2020, 07:40:53 PM »
Very nice teaser pic.

Comparing  CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0 to OPT Optiguard, how would you rate it ?

I have been sold on OPT Optiguard ( coat ) for some time and I keep looking around but never have found something worth moving off it.
I used Opticoat a number of years ago and wasn't terribly impressed with it. I was impressed with the ease of use on the CarPro product. I'm very impressed with the shine. We'll have to wait and see on the ability to shed dirt and how long it lasts.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2020, 11:09:12 AM »
Be curious to see how it goes and what happens if you are not ( or are ) using reload .

I always had questions about a paint coating that needed a reload added to it every 3 to 12 months.
- Then again reload is being marketed as a stand alone sealant now.

I never had an issue with the use or shine on OPT products.  This is Optiguard on the Mrs MKZ earlier this year.
- Much easier application than the 37 I tried using on it...

Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2020, 12:28:27 AM »
Thats good feedback Tom, thanks for the info and share.

Like Steve, I have been using Opti Coat (orginal pro) and i guess V2?   

I do have a kit here from PoorBoys.  I was going to use that on Mallory's Civic after I get the PDR stuff done to it.   

I know Gip is using coatings like crazy and Justin is using some 3 and 5 year product.   Wowa.  The tech is passing me by....WTH.

RR.  YEs, I was here.   
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2020, 11:28:18 AM »
Thats good feedback Tom, thanks for the info and share.

Like Steve, I have been using Opti Coat (orginal pro) and i guess V2?   

I do have a kit here from PoorBoys.  I was going to use that on Mallory's Civic after I get the PDR stuff done to it.   

I know Gip is using coatings like crazy and Justin is using some 3 and 5 year product.   Wowa.  The tech is passing me by....WTH.

RR.  YEs, I was here.   
Holy Crap Batman! He lives! Nice to hear from you JP!

Yes, coatings have come a long way in the last few years. Ease of use and longevity have made huge gains. I'd still say they're not for the weekend warrior yet though. To make them look right, you still need to do the surface prep / correction steps that most of us are used to. And there's still a few tricks to application and leveling. I was pleasantly surprised to see that CarPro was the first manufacturer that I've seen actually state that the microfiber you use to level the product will be a throw away. I really think the CQuartz UK is a lot better than the Optimum Glosscoat I had used previously.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2020, 05:21:41 PM »
As much as I like the "teaser" shot, is it really a teaser if that's all you ever show us?

Looks pretty awesome, though.  Now show us more!

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2020, 06:59:02 PM »
As much as I like the "teaser" shot, is it really a teaser if that's all you ever show us?

Sorry, the truck's been sitting in the garage all week because it's been raining. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow - if the sun comes out.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2020, 05:53:59 AM »

Sorry, the truck's been sitting in the garage all week because it's been raining. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow - if the sun comes out.
You've been getting the same weather as us.  It would be really welcomed if it wasn't for the fact that I work outside and messes everything up for me. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2020, 08:53:03 AM »
Ok, the best I could do was grab a few quick pics in a parking lot 175 miles from home. (The wife wanted to go sight seeing.) The biggest problem was that darn glowing orb in the sky. It was so bright that it was hard to find an angle where the reflections didn't blind the guy trying to take the pictures. These two came out pretty decent though:

I did notice an interesting new problem on the trip south-east early in the morning though. The hood scoop is now so shiny that it reflects back into my eyes with stunning efficiency. I never had that problem before.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2020, 03:05:14 PM »
Ok, the best I could do was grab a few quick pics in a parking lot 175 miles from home. (The wife wanted to go sight seeing.) The biggest problem was that darn glowing orb in the sky. It was so bright that it was hard to find an angle where the reflections didn't blind the guy trying to take the pictures. These two came out pretty decent though:

I did notice an interesting new problem on the trip south-east early in the morning though. The hood scoop is now so shiny that it reflects back into my eyes with stunning efficiency. I never had that problem before.
Where did you find clear skies?  I haven't seen the sun in about a week it seems. 

I actually think a clean, detailed hood has a more tolerable reflection of the same n than a dirty, trashed on hood.  Our work trucks are unbearable when driving in to New Jersey in the more during sunrise.  They seldom get washed and never get detailed.  Actually I'm getting a new Chevy 4500 Medium duty truck in a month or so.  Just gotta go down to Georgia to get it.

Anyway, the taco looks amazing!  Where did the sight seeing take you?

* Recent Photos

IMG_1376.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal